Your records, your rights

The federal government’s HIPAA Privacy Rule gives you the right (in most cases) to inspect, review and receive a copy of your medical and billing records.

If you have questions that are not addressed below, please also check our FAQ, or call our Medical Records office in either Coos Bay or Eugene.



Only you or your personal representative has the right to access your records. (What’s a personal representative?)

A health-care provider or health plan may send copies of your records to another provider or health plan only as needed for treatment or payment, or with your permission. 

The Privacy Rule does not require the health-care provider or health plan to share information with other providers or plans.

HIPAA gives you important rights to access your medical record and to keep your information private.


A provider cannot deny you a copy of your records because you have not paid for the services you have received. 

The Ko-Kwel Wellness Center does not charge a fee for records to be sent to another provider for continuity of care or treatment. However, a provider may charge for the reasonable costs for copying and mailing the records for records requests for personal use.

Psychotherapy notes

You do not have the right to access a provider’s psychotherapy notes. 

Psychotherapy notes are notes that a mental health professional takes during a conversation with a patient. They are kept separate from the patient’s medical and billing records. In most instances, HIPAA also does not allow the provider to disclose psychotherapy notes about you without your authorization.


If you think the information in your medical or billing record is incorrect, you can request a change, or amendment. The health-care provider or health plan must respond to your request. If it created the information, it must amend inaccurate or incomplete information. 

If the provider or plan does not agree to your request, you have the right to submit a statement of disagreement that the provider or plan must add to your record.

Records requests

To have your Ko-Kwel Wellness Center medical records forwarded to another health-care provider, please download, complete and sign this form:

To ask your previous health-care provider to send records to the Ko-Kwel Wellness Center, please download, complete and sign this form:

Once you have completed these forms, please return them to your local Ko-Kwel Wellness Center location. You can use email, fax, U.S. mail, or hand delivery.

Coos Bay

Ko-Kwel Wellness Center
Attn: Medical Records
630 Miluk Drive
Coos Bay, OR 97420

Phone: (541) 888-9494, option 1, then option 9
Fax: (541) 888-5556 or (541) 982-3439


Ko-Kwel Wellness Center-Eugene
Attn: Medical Records
2401 River Road, Suite 101
Eugene, OR 97404

Phone: (541) 916-7025
Fax: (541) 916-7027